Apr 24, 2015

Sweaty, Stinky, Ewwwie! Favorite Solutions

You guys probably don't know this but I'm a sweater.  Yep, sweat like a dude and it's kinda gross.  But I can't help it!  My dad is a terrible sweater and thankfully I am not as bad as him but I used to get really embarrassed over it.


It started in junior high when holding a boy's hand, my hand would be clammy and slimy.  I also used to have the lovely sweat rings in my shirts - which always ended up having to bet thrown out because it really does a number on clothes. 

Once I was old enough to go out dancing I would end up *dripping* wet by about halfway through the night.  There were a couple places in town that used to have teen night.  You were only allowed in between the ages of 14 and 17 or 18... something like that.  I was 16 or 17 yrs old and I wore this cute little white top that I sweated all the way through.  My friends and I walked outside and some guys pointed out that my top was see through and you could see my bra.  I never wore a white top again!  How quickly we learn.



But I had not yet learned that light colored clothes, period, were an issue.  Not to mention embarrassing.  One night I was wearing the cutest light blue top with a few little sparklies on it and at the end of the night the whole thing was wet, except tiny little dry patches on my nipples.  Once I noticed this I splashed some water on it so the whole thing was wet, instead of accentuating that spot.  Geesh! 

As I got older I have accepted the fact that I sweat like crazy and there's nothing I can do about it.  The good news is that I can keep the smell at bay!  And, yes, during certain occasions such as being at the lake all day (and drinking) means that around the time we start heading back in I start to smell.

I found a lovely article by Shape Magazine that goes over a few reasons that our sweat stinks.  Many of us know it is bacteria but certain things make it worse.   The first one is Cortisol, the stress hormone which can come for a variety of reasons.  I've been experiencing a little more of this lately so I have to be extra careful.  The 2nd reason is certain fabrics which may be part of the issue when I was dancing?  Or maybe not because I always wore sleeveless after I discovered my little issue!

Shape Magazine says that some body washes, deodorants, lotions, antiperspirants and sprays may aid the growth of the bacteria.  Ewwwwie!  Here we are thinking we are smelling pretty and ... uh ... nope.  Well, maybe this isn't a "we" thing and more of a "me" thing.  haha.



The article in Shape goes on to say that certain medications and missing nutrients can be the culprit.  I know diet can play a role so foods that are rich in garlic are something I have noticed but I did not know low-carb diets can trigger it as well.  Candy and take out such as French fries mess with the body's chemistry but what happens to cause a stinky smell is the food going rancid within the body.  Ummm.... no thanks!  And even bathroom issues such as not being able to go can cause the body to smell like you just went.... another ewww moment.

I hope this helps in case someone is just as sweaty and stinky as me!  Now all I have to do is avoid drinking when I go to the lake!

Linking up for Friday Faves

Meet At The Barre




https://instagram.com/tcfitlifestylehttps://www.pinterest.com/triciaconiglio
https://twitter.com/TCFit_Lifestyle


3 comments:

  1. I'm a mega sweater too. I just read a good article on the whole science behind it. It's cuz we're so darn fit, right? That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use the Degree clinical protection and that helps a lot. I didn't know all those others caused the bacteria to make you smell more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a sweater for sure. Always have been. I am totally jealous of the girls that can run three miles and not sweat a drop. How is that fair?? I didn't really know there were other causes for it other than some people just being sweaters.

    ReplyDelete