Apr 30, 2015

Charlie Horses in the Middle of the Night

Charlie horse, leg cramp, muscle spasm.  We have all had it and it hurts like hell!  I especially hate it when it is in the middle of the night and I am trying to get my sleep on!!  I'm half asleep telling the Charlie Horse to please go away because every last minute of sleep is precious.  Extremely precious!

Strange thing is I have not had one in years.  Literally YEARS!!  Over the last couple of months I have had a Charlie horse a handful of times.  One night I am pretty sure it was because I had gone out drinking the day (or maybe night - who knows) before and was dehydrated.  Which is bound to happen when I exchange drinking 3/4-1 gallon of water a day for a handful of drinks.  Think I'm joking?  It is a true story.  I drink a lot of water and am not a regular drinker.  Admittedly, I have been drinking 1-2x per weekend lately but that's a lot for me!  ha.

Then it happened again and I had not been diligent in taking my supplements so I was likely deficient somewhere.  Low and behold it happened again last night.  WTF?!!  I am getting kinda tired of this because I drank plenty of water the day before, had taken my vitamins and had not been drinking.  Buuuuut, I haven't been up on my supplements like I usually am.

So I look up a few things to determine if there is a piece to the puzzle I am missing.  Web MD tells us Charlie Horses are caused by:

- Exercising
- Pregnancy
- Exposure to cold
- Certain medications
- Standing on a hard surface for a long time
- Sitting for a long time
- Legs in awkward position while sleeping
- Dehydration
- Not enough calcium, potassium, and other minerals
- Certain medical conditions

Well,  the first 2 aren't the reason I'm having Charlie Horses!  ha!  I'm not on medication, I drank a full gallon of water the day before, my legs were fine.  I have adjusted my desk at work to be standing all day - this helps with posture.  But isn't it an oxy moron to say 'sitting for a long time' right after 'standing for a long time'?!  (insert sarcasm)

Hopefully there's no arising medical condition.  I am really thinking it is that I haven't been as consistent with my supplements, specifically calcium.  I will get on it and see how that does me.  Calcium is going to be my favorite solution for now.

Do you get crazy Charlie Horses?

Linking up for Friday Faves with Amanda Friday Favorites

https://instagram.com/tcfitlifestyle
https://www.pinterest.com/triciaconiglio
https://twitter.com/TCFit_Lifestyle



7 comments:

  1. I get them a lot too!! And it happens randomly - but I always thought it was because I wasn't getting enough potassium!!! I know think mine is from sitting too long! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Potassium is definitely one possibility!

      Delete
  2. I used to get them a lot!!!! Sometimes it would be during the day too or at night watching TV. I haven't had them in awhile and I think it is because of one of two things....I eat a banana pretty much every morning. (Potassium like Biana said) and also when my legs are a little achy I take one magnesium pill. My dr told me that people who are deficient in magnesium often have muscle spasms for no reason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't gotten one in a long time. Hope you figure out what is causing it. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amp up your consistency with the vitamins and I bet all will be well!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was going to say Dehydration and low calcium, magnesium, and potassium and then I saw the causes you wrote down. If you drank enough fluids then I agree it is probably from not taking your supplements. It is amazing how low minerals and vitamins can effect our bodies. I hope you are feeling better now and haven't had any more Charlie Horses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sometimes get cramps in my toes! It sounds a bit weird, but bending them backwards always helps. Occasionally I've had them in my calves, which is a killer. Hate it when it happens!

    ReplyDelete