Apr 29, 2015

Adjusting Daily Caloric Needs

Gaining weight commonly happens when people become injured and this is because they can no longer work out to the extent they could before, if at all.  Most of you know I have been dealing with an injury that has prevented me from working out.  It has been about 10 months by now, maybe more.  This means I had to adjust my daily caloric intake.  AKA:  start eating less.  This was difficult and I did not like it.  Not one bit.  But I also did not want to get out of shape and gain weight.  I am also kinda getting used to it.  I cannot wait until I can resume eating more food!!!!

I want to share with others who may experience an injury that there is no need to throw in the towel and give up.  We do not have to *accept* the fact that weight gain is inevitable because there is something we can do about it.  That is to customize our eating.  This same concept can be applied as we age to prevent unwanted weight gain.

I am sharing a couple websites that I wish I would have had when I first sustained the injury but I forgot about it.  Oh well, it's ok that I have it after the fact because I am sharing it with you!  Once on the site you plug in the pertinent info about yourself.  Try to be honest about your level of activity in order to get a more accurate gauge of where your caloric intake should be.  The only person who will see this is you and it is a good idea to be honest with yourself in order to make it work. 

These websites help you calculate how many calories your body needs in order to run and function optimally based on your level of fitness or your level of activity.  That way you can plan around things such as a surgery or injury where you won't be working out or will be working out less.

Check out these websites in order to calculate your daily caloric need:


http://www.acefitness.org/acefit/healthy_living_tools_content.aspx?id=4

http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html?ctype=standard&cage=37&csex=f&cheightfeet=5&cheightinch=4&cpound=121&cheightmeter=180&ckg=60&cactivity=1.375&printit=0&x=59&y=13

I have used this calculator when I was working out and while I am not.  I compared it and I find it is pretty accurate in reference to daily caloric needs.  Remember, each of us are different so it may be necessary to tweak it a little if you find you gain or lose too much weight while trying to adjust to an injury.



https://instagram.com/tcfitlifestylehttps://www.pinterest.com/triciaconiglio https://twitter.com/TCFit_Lifestyle https://www.facebook.com/TcFitLifestyle https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjAO9yMvYt5hHRi_lmbwbYw

6 comments:

  1. Ohhhh these are some great tips!!! I love your can do attitude about finding something you can do to make up with something you can't do instead of just making excuses :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was what i had the hardest time with when I got injured. Forgetting my body was no longer burning as much and having to adjust down to make up for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't stand the way I feel when I don't workout for awhile and I can feel my metabolism stop in its tracks. I will check out these websites!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting. I can imagine how it must bother you not to work out as I'm the same way! Great tips!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great tip. Since starting my fitness journey I was surprised how many calories i actually got to eat to lose weight. With working out of course. I know as I lose weight this number will change. Even though I knew about calories before and the whole calories in calories out slogan but I never realized how people's needs were so different and all the factors. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete