Nov 21, 2014

Friday's Gratitude

I recently wrote about meditation as a solution for overcoming anxiety and another solution to help is gratitude.  In the blog a couple days ago I talked about serotonin being a natural way to counteract adrenaline, which is the leading hormone in anxiety.  Being grateful for the many things we may tend to overlook is a way to help calm the nerves and relieve, or reduce, anxiety.



So far I have packaged my gratitude into a pretty little box.  Truth be told, anxiety is something I have been dealing with for the last 3 years or so.  Something that rips, tears and gnaws through my life creating havoc and uproar.  It is uncomfortable to admit because my normal personality is happy, positive and fun.  However, anxiety has interfered in such a way that I have to *work* at the above mentioned personality.  I have to try to overcome the constant flow of adrenaline coursing through my veins and causing shortness of breath, chest pain, etc.

Thankfully, I do not have fears of things that may never happen and I do not have a fear of being crowds, like some do.  However, silly stuff sends a jolt of adrenaline right through my body.  Even happiness.  My body is so confused that when I should be happy about something, my body says I should fight or flight.  My heart rate accelerates and I begin to sweat. 

I had gotten to a point where I had overcome anxiety, naturally, with no medication.  And then it came back.  I am sure it is because I am going on 5 months in which the neck injury still doesn't allow me to lift and workout the way I want to.  Which means I am not getting the dopamine and serotonin I would normally get.  Additionally, I have started a Master's degree which is sucking up more time than I want to give up.  This interferes with blogging and my personal life!  No bueno.  My preference is to be happy go lucky all the time and anxiety free all the time.  So I have to start over with the steps that worked before. 

Today, I am going to talk about the things I am grateful for.  And breathe !

1.  TV in bed
2.  Friends
3.  All the pumpkin choices!


Source
 
4.  My health
5.  Great job and benefits
6.  Great house and car
7.  Fun time of year filled with holiday cheer
 
Source
 
8.  Family
9.  People who love me
10.  Student season passes to snowboard with (this means discount)
11.  Snowshoeing in case snowboarding causes issues with the injury
12.  The color grey.... I just love it 
Add caption
 
Source


13.  Beaches



The above image is from:  www.asia.com

14.  My bf who has been an absolute gem!
15.  My blogger friends
 
Some of the list is silly and some of is nice.  Either way, it is a list and I AM grateful.  Some people do not have jobs, food, houses, cars, health and a lot of other things that I DO have.  It is so easy to forget about and appreciate what I have when I am always looking forward.  Goals are important and wonderful but what fun are they if the current moment cannot be enjoyable?!

let's connect:

10 comments:

  1. Great list!!!

    OH - and that picture of the pumpkin chocolate trifle - I made that last year. Everyone LOVED it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry you have anxiety but I agree that focus on gratitude and what's going right is a huge step in the right direction. My teenager was SO bummed she did not get her braces off yesterday as expected. I tried to point out the fact that some do not have the luxury of orthodontia. Um, yeah she didn't see it quite that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a great list of things to be thankful for!! I can only imagine how hard it is to be getting your masters degree and still want to have a life and blog!! Great job girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice list.

    The pumpkin stuff makes me happy too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it is a very good list. Like you said not everyone has those things and if it makes you happy that is what matters most. I can't imagine how stressful getting your Master's must be. Hope you are finding time to just breathe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love lists, and this is a good one! Be grateful is a really good way to cleanse the mind and take step back. And YES to all things pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great list of things to be thankful for! I love how this time of year kind of makes us all step back and appreciate everything.
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great list. I also suffer from anxiety and am trying to do it the natural way as well. Being grateful is a great way to overcome anxiety. Lately I've been doing affirmations before bed and it seems to help put me in a more peaceful frame of mind before bed.

    ReplyDelete