Nov 14, 2014

Friday Favs: Alcohol Facts

I have noticed that I have had a glass of wine after work a couple nights a week.  Or a martini a couple nights a week.  Even though it is not both, a martini AND wine it has been one or the other.  I also know the holidays are around the corner.  I really like to gorge myself eat so around the holidays I like to kick up my activity and clean up my eating before and after such binging fest holiday. 


This means that alcohol is getting in the way.  I always joke around that I need to lose 5lbs to compensate for the 5lbs I am sure to gain.  But nobody really wants to gain 5lbs.  With the above info on alcohol, you can see that I am *not* getting ahead of the holiday weight gain. 

Let's examine what I am referring to.  Here are some of my recent favs:


Pumpkin Martini. 

RUM 2 oz:   Calories : 128  || Carbs 0 ||Any Nutritional Value 1 mg potassium
 PUMPKIN SYRUP (one squirt):  Calories 120 || Carbs 0 || Any Nutritional Value 0
PUMPKIN PUREE:  Calories about 5 || Carbs about 1.2 || Any Nutritional Value - less than 1 g protein and fiber

 

TOTAL:  Calories 240 || Carbs about 1.2


Overall, not too bad.  Except that it is over half the calories of a full meal and it is TINY.  Take note the small napkin underneath it- this is your typical drink napkin so you can tell it is a small drink.  Very small.    What if I wanted 2?  I probably wouldn't cuz it was $12.00 but if it were a little less expensive I could easily have 2-3 of these because they are THAT GOOD.



Pineapple Martini

 VODKA 1 oz.:  Calories 64 || Carbs 0 || Any Nutrition 0

PINEAPPLE JUICE 1 oz:  Calories 26 || Carbs 4 || Any Nutrition <1 g protein

ORANGE LIQUEUR 1.5 oz:  Calories 145- 300 (depending on brand) || Carbs 0 || Any Nutrition- 14g Sugar

TOTAL:  Calories: 235- 338 || Carbs 4 || Nutrition  <1g protein and 14g sugar

Yes!  5 calories less, if you happen to have the brand  of liqueur that is reduced calories.  Otherwise, I better REALLY enjoy this martini.  This one was either $10. or $12. - I can't quite remember but I could easily suck down 2-3 if I hadn't seen this breakdown!


Reisling

5 oz glass:  Calories 120 || Carbs 5.5 || Nutrition <1 g protein

Well, at least I get more ounces of alcohol but the content is lower so I gotta drink more.  I found a list of a few other popular wine choices as well as some alcohol.  Check this out:




 
 
The percentage is how many calories come from alcohol and (just like with alcohol percentages) the higher the better.  Apparently it is better to consume calories cause by the alcohol itself..... I'll take their work.  This content is per oz and the website has a ton more selections.  I only chose a handful but you can go check the list for your fav drink. 
 
Now you can see why I had to post yesterday's Tabata.  The site includes a ton of other alcohol choices such as beer and liquor.  I know we all love this stuff so you're welcome  :)
 
Linking up:
 
http://jillconyers.com/
 
 
 
 
 
let's connect:
 
 

18 comments:

  1. Ohhh wow. Alcohol is my biggest downfall in weight loss and staying healthy, this is the push I need to at least cut some of it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is all about choices. If I am going to drink - I want bigger bang for my buck so I can drink a little less :)

      Delete
  2. If I go to a bar then I'll have vodka soda if I'm at home then it's one glass of Riesling and it's only on the weekends LOL! I'm also a light weight...not a terrible thing I guess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a light weight... now....before? Not so much!

      Delete
  3. I have a stocked liquor cabinet and wine fridge... and Klay brews beer. And yet, I only drink at home when we have a party, or a holiday thing. Isn't that weird?

    And even when we go out - I can have one. Because anything more makes me stupid.

    I should get extra points for this - you know, an extra 1/2 pound gone a week because of it! hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaa! We haven't been restocking our liquor cabinet so when people come over and drink it (or we drink it) it is just dwindling.

      I don't drink near what I used to years ago.... I guess it's part of growing up, huh?

      Congrats on the 1/2 lb lost!

      Delete
  4. I rarely have a glass of this or that with dinner, i'm not a one drink kinda girl. when i drink - i drink. haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is how I *was* but lately I have been having a glass here and there. It adds up!

      Delete
  5. It always kind of scares me how many calories are in drinks!
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried not to think about it since I have been having a martini every week!

      Delete
  6. All I see is blah blah blah...give me more drinks! LOL jk! I usually only drink one day a week and it is usually 2 or 3 drinks max....I feel like I cut anymore than that...and I wont have a life at all! Haha! Why do drinks have to count as calories, damnit?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHAAHAA! I am the same as you, 2 or 3 and that's it. It used to be more but I can't tolerate more anymore. I totally agree, I don't want to make it any less than that. I like to have drinks.

      Delete
  7. I'm the girl who has one glass of wine and nurses it the entire night and even then I get tipsy. #TotalLightweight

    ReplyDelete
  8. That pineapple martini looks so good! I've been doing good with the alcohol lately. Of course, that may be because my boyfriend just had surgery and can't drink.I'm trying to be nice and not rub it in his face by drinking in front of him. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a helpful list, especially around the holidays...am not a big drinker so I never remember this stuff!-Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  10. Booze can be a reason for puffiness all over, so I have cut it way back. I do like the occasional drink though so I want what is not going to be a days worth of calories.

    ReplyDelete
  11. if i feel for beer, i'll only drink half and give the rest to my husband or friend. but i can always get down with vodka :)

    ReplyDelete