Nov 7, 2014

Breakfast Casserole



Yesterday I found something I really want.  I know it is time to start thinking about gifts for others but I really need *want* this.  The label is kinda light but it is pumpkin liqueur and it is only 12.5% alcohol so I can drink it straight!  But then again, there's probably a crap load of sugar in it AKA fattening.  So I passed it up.  This time.




Oh, this has nothing to do with casserole so back to the casserole.  As the holidays sneak up on us it is important to look into ways to be healthy to counteract the accidental gorging eating we may experience this time of year.  This recipe is extremely light AND filling.  That combo is guaranteed to set anyone up for success!  It is good for weight loss, eating light before a morning run or if you know that you have a big lunch or dinner meal coming up.  Or say a holiday feast.

I made this beautiful breakfast casserole before heading out last weekend.  It makes for great leftovers which means it is wonderful for meal prep.  I like to squeeze veggies into my life any way I possibly can.  This one is good for the kiddos because they are sorta hidden in the casserole!


Ingredients:

1/2 orange bell pepper
1/2 green bell pepper
1/2 heirloom carrot (you can use regular)
1/2 lb frozen broccoli
1/4 cup onion
1 jalapeno (optional)

6 eggs
1/2-1/4 cup water
1/2 -1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
1 package Crescent Rolls

1/2 tsp garlic salt
black pepper to taste
1.5 TBSP Joe's Cajun seasoning (or whatever brand you have)

 




To Make:
Preheat oven to 350. 
Dice veggies then sprinkle one TBSP of Cajun Seasoning.
 
Mix eggs with water and add the garlic salt as well as remaining Cajun seasoning into the egg mixture.  Pour over veggies and place in the oven for about 30 min.  This may vary depending on ovens, altitude, etc.
 



Remove from oven and eggs should still be a little runny.  Unroll the Crescent rolls evenly over the eggs and place back into the oven for 10 min, per the Crescent roll instructions.
 


Remove from heat and sprinkle cheese on top.  The rolls should have a nice crust and the cheese will melt beautifully!




Makes 6 servings and will provide 218 calories which leaves room for a shot of that pumpkin liqueur!  I found I was pretty full from a regular serving.  Then I had a banana 3 hours later for my morning snack so my day was off to a great start. 




I have this really bad habit of eating what I make before I take the pics I want so I tend to miss good photo opps.


let's connect:
 

10 comments: