Oct 1, 2014

Sugar Shock

There are some shocking sugar facts that you may not know.  For example, most calorie free items are that way due to adding a sweetener that has been processed.  Ingredients such as dextrose, sucrose, fructose, and many more are in our food products to help make them lighter in calories and/or to taste "better".  But you would be surprised how much of a disservice you are doing when you find out how much sugar you could be taking in.




One teaspoon of sugar is equivalent to four grams of sugar and the recommended daily intake of sugar is a max of 40 grams, or 9 teaspoons.  This is the value for men and women should be only 6 teaspoons per day, or 24 grams.  This is the maximum amount of sugar a person should consume in a day and it is not the average or the low range.  The national average consumption, per the USDA, is 152 pounds per person per year.  Can you say sugar shock?!




A healthier version of a bowl of cereal can still contain 6-12 grams of sugar.  This isn't even a 'sweet' bowl of cereal.  When taking a look at Froot Loops versus what we would call a healthy bowl of cereal, you will be surprised to see how much sugar just one bowl contains.






















I have a box of organic raisin bran that has 12 g of sugar per serving.  It is pretty eye opening because that is just as many sugars as this box of Froot Loops and I am sure it is that way so that people will want to eat it.  Sometimes the healthy version of a product doesn't taste as good as the opposite.

How about blended coffee??  Starbucks will be today's example because it is very popular.  I think Salted Caramel Mocha Frappacino 16 oz.  sounds delish so let's give that one a whirl.

67grams of sugar || 430 calories || 71 grams carbohydrates  || 360mg sodium

Whew!  That is a lot.  It sounds good though but maybe only drink half and call that the cheat meal for the week.  Just for the heck of it I checked out the 24 oz and it is crazy!


To give Starbucks a break, there is a lighter option and that is the 
Caramel Mocha Frappacino Light 16 oz.
26 grams sugar || 130 calories || 28 grams carbs || 0mg Sodium 

This chart gives a great breakdown of how many teaspoons of sugar are in each beverage item

{Photo Source}

I happen to like cranberry juice in my Vodka so I checked the label.  It says 26 grams of sugar per 8 oz serving.  Just one cocktail gives me a full day's value of sugar!  Shock!!!  2 cocktails doubles my daily value, 3 cocktails triples and 5?!  Whoa!  haha, thankfully I don't drink like that but in my younger days I certainly did.  Sugar shock!

2 TBSP. Nutella is 20 g of sugar                    vs.             2TBSP Raspberry jelly is 24 g of sugar


Photo:  en.wikipedia.org
Photo Credit: tlaststand.wikia.com
























Sports drinks 21-34 grams of sugar                 vs              can of soda 33 grams of sugar




Photo credit:  www.walgreens.com
Photo credit: www.coca-colacompany.com
                                                                                                     













A 2 inch brownie is about 12.5 grams of sugar    vs       Prego Traditional pasta sauce 11 g

Photo:  www.thegrocerygirls.com





















Some of these items you probably already knew about but others you may not have.  I am just like anybody else and I like to have a sweet treat every once in a while but considering the amount of sugar in every day stuff it is good to keep that in mind so that I can safely enjoy a treat here and there.  You should check out yesterday's post on the movie Fed Up and definitely see the movie for more astounding sugar facts.

Follow me for great health info and maybe a little nonsense rant here and there and be sure to subscribe to page by entering your email which will give you up to date info.  






22 comments:

  1. One day I was in the grocery store, and I was picking up cereal. I was getting the organic low carb cereal for me - and just a kids cereal for Emry. The deal is - whatever cereal he wants, as long as we eat our fruits and veggies. It's a good deal. Anyway - I had a box of Cinnamon Toast Crunch for him, and my organic cereal. Not only were the cereals the same amount of calories per serving - BUT - the organic had more SUGAR in it.

    I stopped buying the healthy cereal after that.
    If I'm going to pay 3 bucks more, for a tiny box - and it's not going to be nutritionally BETTER for me? What's the point!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still prefer products with less ingredients, even if the sugar is comparable. Just because less ingredients usually means healthier. (usually)

      Delete
  2. It is crazy the amount of sugar there is in stuff we eat everyday. I try to be aware of it, but sometimes it is more hidden then we think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It totally is! I have looked at stuff and wondered where/why and how it is possible that sugar is even in the product.

      Delete
  3. Agree: Sugar is so out of control. Many of the "healthy" foods are packed with it. The Starbucks drinks make my skin crawl. When I treat myself to one I ask for half a pump of sweetener. Normally for the tall they put in 3 pumps. And ya know what? The half pump is perfectly fine. I looked at Noosa yogurt at the grocery store today. 28g sugar. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yogurts are crazy! That is one of the things I was thinking of for this blog but I thought I might save it for another blog. Good idea with the sweetener in the coffee!

      Delete
  4. I get so angry when I see how much sugar is in stuff...like that pasta sauce?! Why is there so much sugar in pasta sauce?! Crazy! I am guilty of enjoying a Starbucks drink from time to time...but I try to do the lighter versions when I allow myself one because my goodness that is a lot of sugar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At first I didn't understand the pasta sauce but then I realized/remembered that a lot of Italian households add sugar to reduce the tartness of the sauce. I would say some cooks (and companies) go overboard with that. I love it without sugar but that's just me.

      Delete
  5. Yup, sugar is crazy. But I need my Diet Coke. Otherwise I'm mean.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooops... I had 2 regular Coke's today. hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just dug deep into my memory bank and realized I have had some sugary treat every day this week!

      Delete
  7. After watching fed up I am so interested in how much sugar is in everything I eat/drink!! I'm shocked at how much is really added in!! I find it really sad/disturbing that they don't include the percentage of sugar in items like they do for everything else on the label!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very curious where the recommended numbers come from and how the are calculated/figured.

      Delete
  8. I agree there is way too much sugar in foods. But, sugar can be addictive as well. I try to stay away from anything labeled sugar-free. I do love my Starbucks though. Although, I usually drink tea. However, I will splurge on something else once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My biggest weakness is sugar. I have way too many sodas and Starbucks drinks. It's gross. I seriously need to cut it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always have a hard time order at Starbucks because it is hard to find something low cal & little or no sugar. Otherwise, I can just have a black coffee at home!

      Delete
  10. whoaaaa ok I am I am trying so hard on clean eating and THIS is some serious motivation to avoid the processed foods!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clean eating takes a little while to get used to. good luck, you will do great!

      Delete
  11. It honestly is just SHOCKING when you look at it. Gosh, I really need to spend some time in the grocery store re-thinking my staple items. YIKES!-Ashley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! It seems like so much work to keep track of so many different things, doesn't it?

      Delete