Oct 29, 2014

Me. And My Mini Workouts

Today is about me.  Yay!  I have slowly been incorporating weights into my life and it has been tough restraining myself from doing a full on workout the way I want to do it.  The way I am used to working out.  But, in order to prevent further injury and determine what my limits are, I have to take it slow.

My plan of action has been to isolate one muscle group per workout, plus abs.  I always do abs and low back because a strong core is key for everyday functionality as well as being able to use proper form. 

Thursday I worked biceps only.  And abs.  Typically, I work 2 muscle groups in a day.  And abs.  But for my current purposes, it is just one muscle group.  And abs.  Ok, ok, I will stop saying "and abs" - I think you get it!

I like to super set my workouts so I will group the superset activities.  As an example, every time I finished a set of biceps curl I did 30 mountain climbers as listed.  Every time I finished a set of curved bar curls I did 15 knee tucks and every time I finished a set of curls on the squat rack I did the pikes.  My workout looked like this:

Bicep curls with dumbbells 3 sets of 10
30 Mountain climbers (hands placed) on upside down Bosu ball - slow for proper form then pick up speed as your coordination improves

Curved bar bicep curls 3 sets of 10
15 Knee tucks on balance ball
 
 
Biceps curls on squat rack 3 sets of 10 -yes I know this is against gym etiquette but I did this at my teeny tiny gym at work which has NOTHING for variety so I made use of what was available.... Plus nobody was using it.
15 Pikes on balance ball
 
 
 
Additionally, I did 10 minutes of cardio.  I don't really like doing cardio so I would much rather get in a high intensity burst combined with weights then get out of there.  I find this to be highly beneficial in order to fit a lot in a short period of time while still being effective. 
 
You will notice I only did 3 exercises.  Not only was the gym small and limited but I also need to be aware of any flare ups and if I would have done a bunch of stuff in there then it will be very difficult to narrow down what caused it.  Next I gave weights a rest for a few days to see what would happen.
 
Over the weekend I stuck to the HIIT workouts that I know I can do and Sunday I did an at home glute workout which was pretty good - still a bit sore from it. 
 
Yesterday I incorporated triceps.  It looked like this:
 
Skull Crushers 3x10
15 Leg Raises
 
 
Triceps Extensions 4x10
Scissors
 
 
Triceps Dips 4x10
Flutter Kicks

 
 
I did about 10-15 minutes of cardio as well.  So far things are looking good.  Today I will stick with some cardio and HIIT but no weights this way I can determine if anything happened as a result of doing tris.  I am going to attempt shoulders next but I am really nervous about that because of the secondary use of traps and neck muscles. 
 
Thanks for listening to me talk about myself!!
 
Follow me for great health info and maybe a little nonsense rant here and there and be sure to subscribe to page by entering your email which will give you up to date info.  
 

 
Linking up with Fitness Blondie for the blog hop!
 
The Hump Day Blog Hop
 

14 comments:

  1. And abs. Haha! Damn abs! I wish mine loved me more.

    I would much rather lift weights than do cardio. I hate cardio. Hate hate hate. A necessary evil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am learning that weights aren't going to fit in just yet. I thought I was gonna pull it off but yesterday afternoon and today are brutal.

      Delete
  2. You definitely have to check my post today! Great minds..... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heading over now. I bet it's some really awesome workouts!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on getting back into the gym and feeling good about it!! I have no idea what a skull crusher exercise is....but it sounds both exciting and terrifying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, skull crushers can be some serious business - depending on the weight. If it is too heavy you NEED a spotter

      Delete
  4. This really makes me look forward to shifting my focus from running back to strength after I get this marathon done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just learned that weights aren't going to be in my near future. Thankfully I tried slowly.

      Delete
  5. AND ABS!

    *hehehehe*

    I'm so glad that you are back in the gym! Skull Crushers sounded scary until I started doing them - but they are really effective.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh I love super sets and love that you made one of the exercises ab focused in each one. What a good idea! #wowlinkup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a good use of time and a great way to get core done.

      Delete
  7. I would love it if we could never do Cardio again. necessary evil but it is awful. Unless it's hiking, I could do that always. Glad you are able to get back at it and see how you feel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm totally with you on that. I love hikes and being outdoors but cardio is NOT on the top of my list. Or anywhere close to the top. It's only on the list cuz it HAS to be. ha

      Delete