Oct 6, 2014

Arsenic in Chicken...... Is it True?

Photo Credit


 I mentioned arsenic in chicken in the blog Clean Eating or Not.  Arsenic was used in the feed for chickens, turkeys and pigs to help provide a healthier pink color to the meat as well as to promote growth.  In poultry, it killed an intestinal bacteria that was killing the birds.  The origination of arsenic in the feed began in the 1940s and at the time science believed that the organs would excrete the carcinogen leaving little or no traces for human consumption.  Of course, an article on the FDA site indicates this but in a consecutive paragraph it talked about tolerance levels which are the amounts in which it is safe to be consumed.  

There were four compounds which were added to feed and of those 3 were banned: roxarsone, carbarsone and arsanilic acid.  This took 4 years to get done but it was finally done after studies showed that more carcinogens were in the meat than allowable.  The FDA allows arsenic AKA carcinogens in our food supply??!!  Yes.  That is because the body can filter small amounts of toxins when or if exposed.  By the way, we are exposed to a variety of toxins all day long so I prefer not to eat arsenic so my daily dose doesn't increase unknowingly.  So when it comes to hings like rice, apple juice and chicken I want to kinda keep the arsenic levels down.


Nitarsone is the 4th compound still found in the feed.  It is reported that it is the only known treatment for Blackhead -which is a disgusting disease I won't even get into.  Per The New York Times, the FDA intends to continue research on the effect of nitarsone.  I am relieved that 3 of the 4 carcinogens have been removed.  This lessens the load on the body and allows it to work on other, important, stuff.  Like filtering out alcohol.  Or the sugar we eat.  Or the pesticides in our food.  Or even the harmful chemicals in our lotion, toothpaste, shampoo, hair products, etc.

It is important to be able to protect crops by putting pesticides on them and important to protect poultry by feeding them arsenic.  It is important to preserve bread by putting preservatives in it and a huge list of other things that could use preservatives but it is also important to know when it is carcinogenic and/or harmful.  My personal opinion is to know about all of it because I want to be able pick and choose what or how much of these things I consume.


My hope is that we can eliminate ALL carcinogens from our food supplies.  It is wishful thinking to have all foods fresh and organic but I can still wish! 

What are your thoughts on arsenic in chicken- and other food?

Follow me for great health info and maybe a little nonsense rant here and there and be sure to subscribe to page by entering your email which will give you up to date info.  

Linking up with Biana and Meghan for Weekending (work computer won't do what I want to so no image this time ~sorry)


References:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/02/business/fda-bans-three-arsenic-drugs-used-in-poultry-and-pig-feeds.html?_r=0

http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/ProductSafetyInformation/ucm258313.htm

http://www.iatp.org/blog/201112/arsenic—it’s-in-animal-feed-too


10 comments:

  1. It is truly alarming all the things that go into the foods that we consume every day. You think you are making a healthy choice by choosing a lean meat like chicken....and then you figure out it is pumped full of steroids and poisons. It makes me sad for the uneducated people on the matter....and watching their children grow up with all these abnormalities because of what is in the food that they are eating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh! It is so true about abnormalities. We have so much going on that we just cannot figure out but when we look at the stuff we put into our bodies - that isn't supposed to be there- it is no wonder!

      Delete
  2. I know that they used to use Arsenic to treat intestinal worms in people and animals. Unfortunately, it also ended up killing some people. So, I am sure it does the same thing to animals. I don't know what is worse. Eating parasites or eating Arsenic. Both are bad in my opinion. I know chickens carry a lot of parasites. Which, is one of the reasons why I hardly never even eat chicken anymore. I wish we had the resources to make all foods organic. But, sadly I don't see that happening for a very long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am with you! I wish we had resources to eat organic. The original idea of pesticides, arsenic, preservatives, etc. were to keep us healthy and make food last longer but long term research shows that there are effects on our health.

      Delete
  3. So much scary info. out there if we dig deep enough. I wonder how much arsenic is in the chicken we buy at the grocery store? I don't eat any fast food chicken but I suspect that's not the only place it is lurking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was the only graph I could find but there was definitely arsenic in the chicken at the store. It was in the organs too - which are common to be eaten as well but the good news is that 3 of the 4 carcinogens have been removed. New research will have to be done to determine the levels of the final one.

      Delete
  4. This is sick, sad, and when is enough enough? Why is all of our damn food like this??? It makes me so mad!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I was looking for images for the arsenic I came across a bunch of stuff with formaldehyde which was something I was going to write about a while ago and it reminded me that I should probably write something about it. It's a good reason to eat cleaner - to help balance the rest.

      Delete
  5. I swear even when you think you are eating healthy and organic.....you really aren't. I wish I could be a vegan but it's just not realistic with my lifestyle right now. I swear they are slowing trying to poison us.....literally....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vegan is sooo hard to do and I have heard of health problems with that eating style. I am still going to eat meat - I even continued eating chicken when I learned about this. I just cleaned up other areas to counter act it. (I hope it counter acted!)

      Delete