Sep 18, 2014

Salad or Fruit Comparison?

Linking up today for Stuff & Things with Kristin.  Here's my contribution:
 
 
Image from:  www.grubgrade.com
 
Morning Friends!  I wrote about being Salad Savvy a couple months ago and maybe nobody even cares about a salad.  As a weight loss consultant, I have heard horror stories from clients who made a great, wise choice by ordering a salad when they went out to a restaurant..... only to be disappointed and confused as to why they either maintained or gained weight.  I am over exaggerating a bit by blaming it ALL on just one salad but I can definitely say that I have had clients choose salads all week long and have this experience. 

Yesterday (well, late Tuesday) I wrote about The Good, The Bad and the Ugly in reference to Carbs and it talked about facts in relation to carbs as well as debunked a few things.  Prior to that I wrote a Burger Breakdown and I was thinking the next thing I would write about is salad.  I was thinking of comparing a salad to a burger.  I am not talking about a healthy salad-I am talking about a restaurant salad.

What I want to do is get a consensus from all of you as to whether or not you would be interested and if yes, which type of salad to compare it to.  My purpose is to compare the overload that can be done with a salad because salads can, and should, be healthy but sometimes they end up packing in as many calories and fat as a burger!  This happens when there is tons of dressing, bacon and other goodies added.  Don't get me wrong, I love a loaded salad just as much as the next person but sometimes taste gets in the way of health and in the way of weight loss. 

 I have another idea which is to compare a few sweet items such as fruit vs. fruit pops from the store and fruit pops you can make on your own.  Additionally, I wanted to throw in yogurt pops.  I know that sweets are waay more fun than salads because a lot of us have a sweet tooth so I wasn't sure which one to do.  Let me know what you think, which one would you prefer?  The topic with the most votes (comments) wins!


Be sure to follow me for great health info and maybe a little nonsense rant here and there.  Subscribe to my page by entering your email which will give you up to date info.


13 comments:

  1. I would maybe compare restaurant salads that you think are healthy....but are not! And all the hidden calories in the sugar coated nuts, tortilla strips, dressings, etc! It is a great reminder to really look at what you are ordering!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a GREAT idea! I was not even thinking of the sugar coated nuts because I forgot those are offered at restaurants. Thanks, Nadine.

      Delete
  2. I'm one of those who actually prefers to order salads at restaurants because I feel they're just a lot of work to make at home.
    However, I've perfected the ordering technique: I usually say no cheese, no tortilla strips (they're on everything these days) and dressing on the side. It helps the healthy-factor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just did a body slump because you are so right, salads take forever and a day to make at home. They are simple but very time consuming.

      It really sounds like you are on the right track and probably doing very well. Keep it up :)

      Delete
  3. yeah I'd love to know about restaurant salads. of course when I go to restaurants and order a salad, it's because i don't want to eat something heavy, like pasta etc. i know they load it up with all sorts of stuff, but hey, thats what you do when you go to a restaurant. i would love to know which ones should be avoided though. i'm like kristin, i also order them because they are so much work to do at home! i'm not much of a yoghurt or fruit pop eater, i like my sweets really bad for me lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Over the past few years I lean more toward the same category you mentioned about sweets: the ones that are really bad for me.

      Delete
  4. We feel so bitter and hostile when we get burned for eating salad!! UGH. So frustrating!-The Dose Girls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is extremely frustrating. I was frustrated when I was learning about nutrition and I took a few daggers from clients too. Everybody works so hard to make healthy changes that it is a huge bummer when the changes weren't what we thought.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks for the vote! I will be bz getting this stuff put together :)

      Delete
  6. It's always fun to see how to make unhealthy store products at home in a better way!!

    xx 365hangers

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really need to eat more salad. #wowlinkup

    ReplyDelete