Sep 30, 2014

My Thoughts on the Movie Fed Up

Photo Credit: www.huffingtonpost.com


I watched the movie Fed Up and I would highly recommend watching it.  The topic is a pretty focused topic but it uncovers government agenda as well as food industry propaganda.  There are many things we do not know about our food and one thing I did not expect was for money to be behind it.

The movie starts out with some interviews of children whose weight ranges from 210-400 pounds.  One girl being 12 years old weighing in at 212 lbs!!  These numbers are shocking for individuals of that age.  Fed Up takes us through the lives of these kids and they discuss the fact that they have tried to lose weight to be healthy and have been unsuccessful.  It is the same thing I have heard many other people commonly say.

Photo Credit

As I watched the healthy changes they made I was shaking my head in disbelief because the healthy changes were not healthy at all.  In comparison to what they had previously consumed it seemed as though it was, to them.  The problem is they switched their regular food choices for light, diet, reduced fat and fat free items which has some type of substitution for the removal of fat.  Fat removal comes in the form of sugar or an artificial sweetener - which is still sugar- and also means it has been processed and is also unhealthy for the body.


The movie Fed Up takes us back to 1977 when a prediction was made that 30 years from then there would be an epidemic of obesity, and there is.  I thought about this.  In 1977 the people of that day are the parents and grandparents of today and their children/grandchildren are learning their eating habits.  Guess where the people of 1977 learned their eating habits from?  Advertisement, the media and, yes, the government. 
 
There was a push to label food products and sugar -as we know- is an ingredient commonly found in foods.  Some naturally occurring and some added.  However, the sugar industry did not want food labels to include the daily value of sugar -or the value per content of that package.  There was a lot of political back and forth where finally the food industry won and the labels do not indicate what percentage of the daily value a food item contains.  Interesting huh?

One teaspoon of sugar is equivalent to four grams of sugar and the recommended daily intake of sugar is a max of 40 grams, or 9 teaspoons.  This is the value for men and women should be only 6 teaspoons per day, or 24 grams.  This is the maximum amount of sugar a person should consume in a day and it is not the average or the low range.  The national average consumption, per the USDA, is 152 pounds per person per year.  This is about .42 pounds per day - per person!  Of course, this is an average so some people may consume more- much more - while others may consume a bit less.  Either way, this number is crazy!

Photo Credit: fedupmovie.com


During the documentary a young boy's father stated that he is aware that the public may blame parents for a child's poor eating habits but he states that the boy sneaks food and makes poor choices at school.  The documentary took us through the school systems and showed what is going on in schools and it is true, there are terrible choices at school!  I would probably venture to say that the boy does, in fact, sneak food but that also means it was available for him to sneak.  An interesting fact is that the parents of all the kids interviewed were overweight, bordering obese if not obese so it may be safe to say that the education for the children may lack.

This movie is a tremendous eye opener.  I know that there is a serious lack of education and I knew that children of today are being impacted but I had no idea just how much.  The movie flashed some deaths that included an 8 and 9 yr old as well as a 13 yr old who had obesity related heart attacks.  A different boy was in the doctor's office when the doctor noticed signs of diabetes.  There were flashes of kids using their machines to check their blood sugars due to Type II diabetes.   My goodness!  This is not supposed to be happening in kids of today and the concern for one doctor is that we do not know how to treat children with this type of diabetes for long periods of time. 

Photo credit:  www.ropeofsilicon.com

One last thought is there was a study in lab rats which indicates 40 of the 43 rats chose sugar water over cocaine water.  The brain lights up when we consume sugar the same way it does when cocaine is ingested.  It really goes to show that food, specifically sugar, is addicting




I would highly recommend watching Fed Up as it reveals many unknown factors involved in reference to the food industry.  There is a post coming tomorrow called Sugar Shock, I think you will enjoy so stop by tomorrow.  I have another post coming up about arsenic in chicken and these are just 2 examples of crap making us sick and unhealthy but the point is we need to be educated about nutrition and this movie is a great start!  What do you think about this?

Follow me for great health info and maybe a little nonsense rant here and there and be sure to subscribe to page by entering your email which will give you up to date info.  





 


14 comments:

  1. I have always thought that the government needs to stay out of food because there is money for them to make and they do not have our best interest in their motives. None of this surprises me above, but it is still sad and concerning. I have fallen victim to being addicted to artificial sweeteners, just ask anyone who has ever had a diet coke. They are so hard to quit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a sad day that our country depends on being protected by the FDA but actually falls victim to them for MONEY.

      Delete
  2. I remember what it was like quitting SODA. Now, I will have a soda now and then (very rarely) with pizza. BUT - I used to drink a bottle in a day. That was a LONG time ago. I think I haven't been a regular soda drinker in - maybe 3 years now.

    At first - it was like I was thirsty (for soda) all the time - water did nothing - or my brain was telling me it was doing nothing.
    I think it took 3 weeks for me not to care (so much) about not drinking soda.

    And, I'm glad I cut it out - because when I do partake with a slice of pizza - it is TOO sweet.

    I know the governments involvement with the food industry is BAD juju - and I hope one day it stops - but MONEY TALKS, and that's the American Way no a days.

    Regardless of how many people they are hurting.

    I take note of the kids when I pick Emry up from Boys and Girls Club. On the whole, his school has "average" sized students - but there are a couple - who I silently weep for. The signs of obesity in 7 and 8 year olds? That's just wrong and is completely preventable.

    **SIGHS**

    I'll get off my soap box now - great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree. Children are the innocent parties here and they do not know better. They eat what their parents give them. I am not saying that kids aren't picky - because all kids have things they do and do not like. What I am saying is that they should be introduced to good choices of food with limited treats/junk food.

      Delete
  3. I had heard that pizza is considered a "vegetable" to some, but I was hoping that was a bad joke! That movie sounds really interesting and somewhat depressing... it's heartbreaking to see such unhealthy young kids. They have such a battle ahead to get healthy again - if they even want to try.

    I definitely want to see this one!

    Amy @ http://www.livinglifetruth.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always thought it was a joke too but in the movie they are referring to the tomato paste on the pizza. Still, not really falling into the category of getting in my veggies.

      Delete
  4. this sounds super interesting. the whole thing is so disturbing and sad, i agree with nadine - i am 30 days soda free and it's so bloody hard, ive given up millions of times!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds interesting. I know I probably consume a lot of sugar because I love it. And I'm probably addicted. I'm mean without my Diet Coke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mean without Diet Coke? Holy crap! I would say you could be addicted!

      Delete
  6. I watched it a few weeks back and felt the exact same way!! I was shocked to know just how much the government doesn't tell us about the food that we're eating and more so the sugar...oye! That was scary!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a post coming up on arsenic in our food supply as well. More shock from the gov't.

      Delete
  7. I run the Preventive Clinic in my office. This is the story of my life. This generation growing up......it is kinda frightening and so much of it is not their fault!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, I bet you see and hear a lot of sad stories. Do you see a lot of diabetes (Type II) in kids?

      Delete