Sep 4, 2014

Labor Day Weekend Fun

Whoa!  It has been a long time since I have written anything but that is because I have been on vaca and there was no internet.  It was actually quite nice!  We went up to our friends cabin in Pinetop and stayed until Tuesday morning.  We left late Friday afternoon - about 4p ish and this is what happened as a result:

There was an accident that blocked the road causing an hour stand still on the highway.  Yay!  What a great way to start the trip.  Everyone knows that holiday weekends make for busy roads and the closer to 5p the worse it is.  Well, at least it was a great opportunity to get out and stretch our legs.  Then there was construction so it was slow n go a good portion of the way.  A 4 hour trip took us 6 hours!  Well, we stopped for dinner but that was only about an hour or so.

It was late by the time we got there so the first night was just chill and the next morning we had a lovely egg pizza. It was sauteed onions, spinach, broccoli and eggs with some cheese sprinkled on top.  It was so dang good we ended up making that for breakfast every day with the final day adding red, yellow and orange mini bell peppers.


One morning a special request was made to have waffles and those were made with a macadamia nut pancake mix.  I have never had it before and I must say it was pretty tasty.  I used toasted pecan syrup which I thought was going to be fab but it was like meh.  I am not really a sugary breakfast person and that kinda stuff usually upsets my stomach.  Too bad I don't have that problem any time I eat sweets!


There was also Ezekiel cinnamon raisin toast {delish} and English muffins - {also delish}.  I don't typically eat either of those things and I made it a point to eat like a normal human being on this trip instead of eating like I was never going to see another morsel of food.  I had a half slice of toast, a quarter piece of an English muffin and a tiny waffle (not shown).  It was a little easier for me to do this time because I have been thinking about how common it is to overeat while on vaca.  We are all human and I noticed that trips get treated like a free for all by many so I wrote an article on 10 tips to avoid weight gain while traveling.  Yes, I know the entire breakfast was a carb lovers dream and yes, I loved it!  Plus, I was going to need it for all the walking we were about to do.

Being in the forest is so peaceful and calming.  I could hear the wind gently blowing through the trees, smell the scent of the pine and enjoy the call of the birds all day.  The wind gently caressed my skin and blew through my hair as we walked, hiked, rode, read, talked and laughed.

We walked around a beautiful lake, went to an arts and crafts show, took a 3.8 mile hike which was gorgeous until I got eaten alive by mosquitoes.  The little bastards suckers bit me like 6 times on my shoulder and another several times on my back, 3 on my elbow, plus a few more on the other arm.  Oh, and one on my face.  I did not get the memo to use my bug repellant!  But I should have known better.  Better luck next time, right?






Had lunch at the local bar, read on the front porch, drank Fireball from our frozen concoction which was created on the previous trip.  Explanation coming up next.










 Remember rolling a beer can in ice water?  Same concept for the Fireball.  We wanted the Fireball to chill quickly after we bought it so we put it in a bucket of ice water... well, a trash can of ice water and rolled it, had a shot, then placed it in the freezer and forgot about it.  On the next trip up our friends removed the trash can but left the block of ice.  They said it was much easier than melting the block of ice as they wanted to preserve the coldness of the Fireball.  I do not blame them.  I much prefer my Fireball chilled than lukewarm or room temp.  So, we poured our shots straight from the block of ice.  It reminds me of parties that would have ice sculptures to pour shot on.  Only, we don't have to worry about putting our mouth on or near some piece of ice that another person has had their mouth on!



Dinner one night was chicken marinated in some type of Asian spicy sauce, tomato salad with cucumber, mozzarella, balsamic and olive oil plus steamed broccoli.  The second night was steak marinated in seasoning and a spicy garlic sauce that I bought at the arts and craft show.  With that we had a giant salad with spinach, other greens, red, orange and yellow peppers as well as tomato, onion and cucumber.

 
After dinner I turned on some podcasts (as there was no internet) that I had downloaded before we left.  Let's see, there was Firebeatz and Ghetto House Radio thanks to Electronic Area on XM Radio.  What great beats to jam to on the front porch having a few cocktails.  By jam, I mean dance our butts off!  It was so awesome!  It was a dance floor to ourselves with no creepers trying to grab or grind on our butt!

The next day one of the neighbors came over and told us about the 'gypsies' dancing and partying on the front porch.  I guess it was a funny way of saying he noticed us having a really awesome time.  Maybe there is something I missed - but it was fun all the same :)  

The next day I enjoyed a fruit snack on the front porch.  So gorg!!



I practiced my photography skills on some flowers in the front yard.  The wind was blowing the little things around so I am surprised I was able to capture it in my shot.  And I had other stuff to do so I wasn't going to try all day long!  Thankfully it worked.



We went to the mountain and took the ski lift up, taking in all the views.  It sure is different with no snow on it.  We hiked down it and it all looked so unfamiliar without the snow that I didn't recognize any of it even though I have boarded on it a gazillion times.  There was a ton of rocks and now I understand why at the beginning or end of the season that those suckers stick up out of the snow.  Danger!

Hiking down was awesome except I was getting hungry and was ready to get the h#ll down and get a bloody mary some food.  I took a couple pics and then I noticed a tree that was all brown and dead looking.  It was kinda like a plant that a dog peed on and killed.  Maybe all the forest creatures peed on it?


It was just so peaceful!  I love being active so this was my dream weekend.  Filled with just the perfect combo of physical activity mixed with relaxation.  We bowled on the Wii and rode quads and the rhino.  I had so much dirt on my face that it looked like I was literally playing in it.  My bf told me he liked my new lip liner.  haha

After we got home there were a couple unfortunate scenarios but that will be for another post.  I know it is already the end of the current week but it is just starting for me work wise- winning!  How was your Labor Day weekend?

Join today's link ups:

Thoughts for Thursday


Follow me for great health info and maybe a little nonsense rant here and there and be sure to subscribe to my page by entering your email which will give you up to date info. 





14 comments:

  1. Looks like a really fun weekend. Lots of great eats and activities!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love having good food mixed with lots of activity!

      Delete
  2. Looks like you had a great weekend! I am intrigued by the egg pizza....sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose it was more of an egg casserole as there was no crust but this just gave me an idea!

      Delete
  3. what an awesome weekend! All the food looks tasty AND healthy! I'm with Nadine, I want that egg pizza recipe! I also struggle big time with vaca eating. The worst.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have made the egg dish a few times and I recently made it at work for a potluck. It was a huge hit!

      Delete
  4. The egg pizza sounds so good!! Looks like a wonderful time minus the traffic, but at least that was at the start of the trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The traffic thing was a bummer but we ended up having a great time!

      Delete
  5. Sounds like such a wonderful trip! Stopping by from the link up:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pizza looks yummy! It is so funny about the bottle with Fireball. But, hey you still got to drink it and it was chilled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think having the Fireball in a block of ice made it so much more fun because we laughed so hard every time we got some.... Matter of fact, it made us want it more!

      Delete
  7. Looks like fun!

    I hate when accidents bring traffic at a stand still. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. stupid traffic. Thankfully there were no ambulances so everyone must have been OK. The tow truck took an hour to get there though

      Delete