Aug 19, 2014

Gratitude


Today I want to talk about gratitude.  As many of you know I have been experiencing some debilitating pain and have been unable to workout as a result.  Matter of fact, I have not been able to do many things that I love.  I wanted to wakeboard for my birthday but since my neck is a vital part of my body I had to pass.  Just one fall could really make a huge negative impact and I'm not willing to risk it - -til it heals. 


I thought I would paddleboard instead but remembered a kayaking trip we took last summer.  It was absolutely amazing but the paddling motion made my neck stiff and super sore for several days.  This is something that I have realized reoccurs with specific activities and sometimes even sleeping in a specific position.  It creates an intense pain that makes it so that I cannot sleep, I have a massive headache, the pain trickles down into the back and shoulder area-which makes everything difficult, and I cannot even turn my head without causing pain.  Once I remembered this, I decided against paddle boarding.

Let me just tell you I am NOT grateful for experiencing this kind of pain!  I am not grateful that I must refrain from things that I love.  But guess what?  I also do NOT want to live my life focusing on things I do not like.  That creates a negative environment and before you know it I would be some sour puss who hates everything about life.  I might get a flat tire or need a battery and talk about how the world hates me- when really it doesn't... I just needed to maintain my car.

 
I AM grateful for the opportunity to REMEMBER I am grateful!

In the meantime I was researching natural remedies for neck pain and with that I found some information that most of us commonly know.  We know that many people have tension caused by stress and this creates much of what I listed above:  headaches, neck pain, shoulder pain, back pain, etc.  In a post I wrote recently I talked about the source of my neck pain and titled it "Big Girl Pants and Neck Pain".  I also talked about natural solutions and it talked about stress being a big cause of aggravating my old injury.  I read that gratitude is a great way to overcome life's stresses.  Seems simple, right? 

I like to think that I am a grateful person, and I am but I do not always remember to be grateful all day every day when I am going through the stresses of life and experiencing this stupid pain all day every day.  To put it bluntly, it sucks.  But, while focusing on what sucks, I'm not really focusing on what I am grateful for.  This is not like me.  I am usually the opposite.  I usually ALWAYS see the good in things (and I still do) but lately I have been frantic trying to figure out why my neck isn't getting better.
 
 
Getting to the gratitude part.  I come across an article published on the Huffington Post that features Oprah and it is all about her point of view on gratitude.  It was around Thanksgiving time and that is when most of us are the most grateful.  For me, I am grateful year round but as I am reading this article I realize that I have not been recognizing the small things on a regular basis like I used to.   This is exactly what Oprah is discussing.  She was recapping a time in her life when she journaled all the things she was grateful for and realized that with her heightened success she had been so busy she was no longer doing it and in the meantime her quality of life was no longer improving even though she was reaching all her goals.  Read it here: 
 http://www.huffingtonpost.com/oprah-winfrey/oprah-gratitude-thanksgiving_b_2171573.html

She talks about being grateful for even the small things and that will make the day better.  Just a few small wins at a time.  She says gratitude elevates life to a higher frequency and I have been learning about that a bit more.  To continuously practice gratitude will eventually create an environment that is peaceful and bliss almost all the time.  This is what I am used to!  One where worries are easily dealt with and happiness comes easily and naturally.  I won't get too much into it but the shortened version is that higher frequencies even have the ability to heal where stress has caused havoc.  For example- my neck.  To read more:  http://timelyguidance.com/26-the-frequency-of-gratitude/

With that being said I thought today would be a perfect opportunity to talk about the things I am grateful for.


1.  Eye sight.  This sounds simple enough but while undergoing a Lasik procedure I could not see and I realized what it is like for those who cannot see.

2.  My job.  I work for an awesome company that has made my new position possible and I am absolutely loving this position!

3.  My health.  I am free of disease and am totally healthy.  All normal readings during a physical.

4.  No permanent physical issues.  While I have had a continuous run in, it is not permanent and is fully treatable.

5.  A house to live in and food on the table.  We all know that there is a horrible epidemic of homelessness and while I am on a quest to have a bigger, better house - I appreciate the house we

6.  My brand new shiny car.  I absolutely love my car!  It has everything and more than I could ever want.  I drove my old car around the block and noticed how magnificent my new car is.  My old car is awesome too but my new car is along the lines of 'luxury' and I have never had one before.

7.  Rainy days.  It was pouring so hard a few minutes ago and the sound is just amazing!  Distracting while at work because all I want to do is look it - thankfully I have a great view.



 8.  Pool time this weekend.  There is something about the way the water feels on my skin when I am submersed in the pool.  It is just relaxing yet rejuvenating all at the same time.

 
9.  Floppy hats.  I just love them!  They make it difficult to see and can get blown away on a windy day but I love them.

10.  Life.  I LOVE life.  And I am grateful for the blessing of just being alive!  There are so many things I want to do and great places I want to visit.  So many fun activities to chose from and as we all know I love being active so it's nice that there are physical activities that are fun.

Follow me for great health info and maybe a little nonsense rant here and there and be sure to subscribe to page by entering your email which will give you up to date info.

http://instagram.com/tcfitlifestyle






13 comments:

  1. I am grateful for my health most of all - that I had a chance to be with the love of my life for nearly 40 years - that I have a wonderful granddaughter and 3 great grandsons and 4 great-grandchildren - that I can still live by myself and at present, don't need help - that I have many new friends and a few close friends who enjoy doing things together - I, too, am thankful for my eyesight - I am grateful for a God that watches over me and my family and probably many other things but these seem to be the ones that come to mind immediately. I think this blog should get people thinking of the wonderful lives we have and get away from the negative. Good topic to get people thinking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the simple things in life make such a big difference!

      Delete
  2. I think this is a great topic. I needed to hear this today. I've been going through a lot of changes as well including health issues. Gratitude can get us through when we are having a bad day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad this came up just when you needed it :)

      Delete
  3. Hey girl thanks so much for stopping by! Shoot me an email you are a no reply blogger and I can show you how to link your email! xoxoxo
    meetatthebarre@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! So important to appreciate all the good that we have in our lives, even when we may not be FEELING our best! Hope you heal up quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I am on the road to recovery every day :)

      Delete
  5. sorry that you're having neck pain. i tend to get that as well so i use acupuncture and massage to keep my muscles relaxed. hope things return to normal soon. in the mean time, get some RnR!

    -kathy
    Vodka and Soda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have not added acupuncture to the routine but I think that is next.

      Delete
  6. I'm grateful for great friendships... laughter... peace... my health... my family... so many things!

    Good for you for finding the positive... And I hope your neck starts to feel better soon!

    I agree with Kathy, you know that massage could be a great help... but, what about just a warm heating pack? And a new pillow? Even if either doesn't help.. what's nicer than a heating pack, while propped up on a new comfy pillow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH EM GEE- I have tried it ALL!!! I have spent anywhere from $25-$130 on a variety of different pillows. Stupid pillows all over the house. LOL. I have used the heat, the cold, the combo of both and am getting a massage every single week. The only thing I have not done is acupuncture and I think that may be a big piece too.

      Delete
  7. Love this post and your big floppy hat! Now on to read what Oprah has to say about being grateful (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love Oprah! She is a pioneer in leading people - especially women!

      Delete