Jul 23, 2014

Fossil Creek Waterfall







 This is the waterfall that we FINALLY found after hiking in about 5.5-6 miles in Fossil Creek.  I bet you did not think you would see something this gorgeous in Arizona!  Initially we were going to go for a 2-3 mile hike up in the northern part of the state because I wanted to test the handling and mechanics of my new car - exciting, right?

 But when we got there one of the main entrances was closed so we went to the other one and learned that it was 5 miles in and 5 miles out.  Problem is we started from an area that was not the actual trail head so it added about 1/2 mile each way. 


There were 4 of us and we packed enough water and snacks for about 4-6 miles so we thought we could get away with an extra couple of miles.  Ummm... should not have done that.  I can see how people end up with heat stroke when they hike - being unprepared.  Everything worked out well but we will NOT do that again in the future because it is just too dangerous.
The image above shows a hole over to the left.  That was kind of a natural pool where water came out of the ground.  It was bottomless and led to the bigger water area so you could actually swim from the smaller hole to the bigger area.... if you can get to it.

 Look at the image below and how crystal clear this water is!!  I absolutely LOVE IT and we will definitely be going back - more prepared and I will tell you that we will also leave out the alcohol.  One of the guys thought it would be brilliant to drink a little.  I admit I had a couple shots of Goldschlager and it was kinda fun coming down the hill - you will see one of the "fun" shots soon but as we all know alcohol dehydrates the body and even though it was only 82 degrees it was still hot as hell before we got to the glorious water.


 The above image is our friend crossing over the top to jump into this little pool like area I pointed out in one of the above images.  The image below is him seeing a rope that has been lured down for leverage because the water swirls extremely fast.  After he jumped in he said he got sucked in and had to swim to the rope just to catch his breath before swimming under the rocks to get into the main area.

He said the entry was a few feet under water so this is not recommended for weak swimmers!


 The consecutive images are the ones we took before we actually found the water fall and I will tell you it is such an amazing area to be in.

 


 This is where we started having lots of fun off our couple shots of Goldschlager but I am not really sure what I am doing.  Evidently it was pretty damn funny.  The hike was not difficult but it was long and by the time we got to the end this is what we found:

















 We could not believe that the entire creek had dried up and there was no water at all!!  We had hiked all that way and nothing.  By now my knee is hurting and my ankle is hurting and I am hungry and thirsty.  I was trying to reserve the remaining water for the return hike.  So we eat what we have and in the meantime one of the guys walks a little ways down and finds this:


 Yaaay!  And a little spot for us to cool off the remaining water.  We see some other hikers who tell us there is more water about 1/4 mile away.  We go.  There was a really cool creek and other hikers tell us the actual water fall was about 1/4 mile away so we go.  Which was what you saw in the above photos and I am so glad we went the extra mile.... literally!  haha.  It was really worth it and makes me look forward to going again.




















I forgot to mention that we found a blackberry bush and ate fresh blackberries.  Organic.  No pesticides - so lucky!  While at the waterfall I drank some water wonderfully delightful water - fresh from the spring.  Everyone freaked out that I was going to get some parasite but I did not drink too much - just in case.  On the way back we filled out water bottles at the above area -which nobody wanted to drink.

I pointed out that I drank the water over an hour prior and still had not died and felt fine.  2 more hours later they started drinking the water I filled and they were thankful for it!

By the end of the hike we were dying.... limping..... sore..... tired..... hungry..... thirsty..... but alive.  LOL

We are definitely going back - but, again, more prepared.

By the way, the blog hop is back!!  Thanks Fitness Blondie!  You should check it out to meet new friends!

The Hump Day Blog Hop

Vodka and Soda
Follow me for great health info and maybe a little nonsense rant here and there and be sure to subscribe to page by entering your email which will give you up to date info.


http://instagram.com/tcfitlifestyle

12 comments:

  1. WOW! that was beautiful. I hiked (yes, I hiked) many moons ago up to Weaver's needle and saw some beautiful clear water and I, also drank from it. It was great and cold. Looked like a fun time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess you are gonna have to come on the next one! hehee. Where's Weaver's needle?

      Delete
  2. Such a pretty waterfall! It looks like it was well worth the hike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, it was awesome! We have been looking for hydration packs and water shoes so we can go again :)

      Delete
  3. Oh Tricia! How BEAUTIFUL is that?!

    I love hiking.. so much, we have a few "falls" by us as well.. I suppose it might be time for a LONG family hike.. HOORAY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was crazy because at the water fall there were kids - and a few little kids like maybe 5 yrs old. I am thinking the route we took was too long for a kid of that age so there must be a shorter route but it was great getting in the workout.

      Delete
  4. Weaver's Needle is up in the Superstition Mtns. It's about 5 miles in but we only got about 3 miles and the couple we were with wanted to turn back. It's off the road to Tortilla Flats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! Turning back can be a good thing if you weren't prepared though.

      Delete
  5. Hello lovely, thank you for the wonderful comment on my blog, I really appreciate it! :)

    Great post, gorgeous pictures!!

    I have a new outfit post, would love to know your thoughts:

    http://electricsunrise.blogspot.co.uk/

    xoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and thanks for stopping by. The outfits look great!

      Delete
  6. Absolutely gorgeous!!!!! Well worth the extra miles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly was! We are getting the hydration packs pretty soon so we can hike it again and be better prepared :)

      Delete