Jun 29, 2014

How to Eat to Lose Weight

This is just a quick snapshot of an example of how to eat to lose weight.

Losing weight can be difficult especially if you are unsure where to begin or what to do.  I have heard people reading labels and looking for fat but leaving out the sugar.  Or looking for carbs and leaving out the calories.  There is SO much to know that it is almost possible, right?  This is going to be a simplified guideline to help you get started on your journey.  If you are already going, you may learn a new thing or two.

The trick is to eat small meals, several times, throughout the day.  The purpose of this is to keep the metabolism going all day long.  This equals burning calories all day long.
The metabolism works at the rate we eat.  If we do not eat all day long, there is no reason for it to be working so it “shuts off”.  When you eat, it needs to process, or “metabolize” the food so it “turns on”….thus burning calories.


Those of us trying to lose weight love the sound of this!

Be careful not to overeat.  This reminds me of the first time I heard it is best to eat several meals per day.  I thought the concept was great!  I could eat more AND lose weight?
I began incorporating more snacks/meals but guess what I did wrong?  I chose the wrong foods and did not change my workout routine.  I added a muffin or a cup of noodles (sometimes both in the same day) and I continued eating my other 3 meals in the same portion sizes.  So I was adding calories and working out at the same rate.
I gained weight and could not figure it out until I did more research and learned that the ‘meals’ must be snack size…. not actual meals.  I also learned calories in versus calories out.  I want to be sure nobody else makes the same mistake.
Below is a picture of the meals that I consume throughout the day.  You can see that 2 of the ‘meals’ are snack size.  Lunch is sensibly sized and thought out.  Meaning, it is not too big or too heavy.  It is loaded with vegetables which is a great way to stay full since veggies have lots of fiber.   And, the best part, it is low calorie.
2013-07-26 07.18.22
1st am snack (AKA meal): 1 cup grapes = 60 calories
2nd am snack (AKA meal): 2 oz dark chicken = 135 cal
Lunch: 4 oz dark chicken =230 cal
1.5 c veggies= 100 cal (this has more due to the way it was cooked)
total: 525 calories

If you are eating 1200 calories per day, this leaves you 675 calories for breakfast and dinner

Click here for the simple chicken and veggie recipe.  I post healthy, low calorie recipes as well as fitness tips.  I recently wrote about how to eat to gain lean muscle and I want  you to know that if you are trying to lose weight AND gain lean muscle that you cannot just add extra protein and call it a day.  Otherwise you will end up with the same result that I listed above.  You will gain weight.  More calories equals more fat.  Period.  Unless you are strategically using the excess.  Upcoming will be an article on how to do both without gaining fat.
Follow me for great health info and maybe a little nonsense rant here and there and be sure to subscribe to page by entering your email which will give you up to date info.

http://instagram.com/tcfitlifestyle

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I love this.
    I am always trying to make sure I'm eating enough to lose weight, and not doing too little or too much.. The balance is hard.

    :)

    Emry is okay.. two broken fingers... but okay....

    http://katerivonstealsnewlife.blogspot.com/2014/06/monday-recap-from-last-err-thursday.html

    Come check out the wicked long recap...

    ALSO:
    I find the more weight lifting I do.. the more strength training... the HUNGRIER I am... Give me some advice on this. How do I not overeat when this happens. More protein? Sometimes protein will satisfy the hunger pain.. but something it's like I am FAMISHED.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad he is ok!!!! I'll come by :)

      yes, finding the perfect balance can be QUITE difficult. The problem with working out more - no matter what we are doing be it lifting, cardio, etc, we are burning more. The body revolts and says: "I need to replace that fuel". There is not a specific answer as we are all different and all our needs are different.

      What I can say is that if you are trying to LOSE weight you definitely do NOT want to eat more calories. This is extremely easy to do because we get hungry faster. It is extremely important to keep track of your eating patterns so that you can be aware of accidentally consuming more.

      What you would want to do is eat a protein directly after working out and make it a small portion. For example, one cup of Greek yogurt or 3-4 ounces of meat such as chicken, fish, turkey, etc. Another great example would be a high protein, low cal protein shake. This is what these are for!!

      My To Do list contains a post on how to eat to lose weight AND gain lean muscle so it seems like it would be appropriate to write that soon!

      Delete