May 5, 2014

Turkey Meatloaf Recipe

I made this turkey meatloaf last week but have not posted it due to a tragedy in the family.  This is the first chance I have had to get the recipe up for you guys and I hope you enjoy it.  I will add that it was the BEST meatloaf I have had in a REALLY long time.  It was just THAT GOOD!!

I had been craving meatloaf for a week or two and meal prep was the perfect time to make a sh!t load of it. This is going to be a short post.  Just recipe.  And pics.  And succulent memories of this deliciousness!

What you need:
1 TBSP couscous
1 TBSP chia seeds
1/2-1 c water
2 lbs ground turkey 90 % fat free or more
hot sauce (I used Panama's Herb & Spice which is kinda of like Tobasco sauce)

3/4 TBSP sea salt
1 tsp rosemary (crush for added flavor as you add them)
2 tsp rubbed sage
1 tsp basil
½ tsp fennel seed
1 TBSP dried parsley
1 TBSP garlic powder

1 large carrot
4 medium celery stalks
1/2 medium onion
3/4 red bell pepper
1/2 green bell pepper


What to do:

Place couscous and chia seeds into a bowl with 1/2 cup of water then set aside to allow the water to be absorbed.  Add more water to this if needed.  It should be a thick, oatmeal-like consistency.  Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.  Does anyone know how to do the little 'degree' symbol?  I don't so I have to spell it out, any help would be appreciated!  :)



Chop the veggies small enough to be almost undetected in the meatloaf.  I used a Slice-O-Matic for the carrots, bell peppers and it did not work so well for the celery.  At which point I gave up and sliced the celery and onions by hand.  It is a great kitchen tool as long as it is working properly.  Which is kind of a hit and miss.



Add dry ingredients, veggies and couscous mixture to the meat.  Mix thoroughly and add additional water if meat seems dry.  Remember, turkey burger is more dry than burger so you want to add water to avoid a dry meatloaf.  I added about 1/2 cup.  This is where I add several dashes of hot sauce.  I used Panama's Herb & Spice which is kinda of like Tobasco sauce.  


Form the loaf and shake several more dashes of hot sauce on top.  I formed the meatloaf lower than usual so it cooks a bit faster and so I can put the lid on the dish and pop it right in the fridge.  Bake for 30-45 minutes, depending on your oven.  Meat should be cook thoroughly with no pink remaining.

This time I served with tiny baked red potatoes and asparagus.  Soooo good!!  What is the secret ingredient in your favorite meatloaf recipe?




Follow me for great health info and maybe a little nonsense rant here and there.
https://www.facebook.com/TcFitLifestyle
https://twitter.com/TCFit_Lifestyle
https://www.pinterest.com/triciaconiglio



4 comments:

  1. I love couscous! And turkey meatloaf! I've never thought about adding couscous to turkey meatloaf. What a great idea! Maybe I can get my husband to eat couscous this way. He doesn't really like it, and I suffer. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And if you have kids who are picky in reference to veggies it is a great way to slide those in as well! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  2. I am not familiar with health benefits of chia seeds. Do they help with feeling full? What else can you use them in? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chia seeds are great for fiber - which help reduce 'bad' cholesterol, make you feel full longer, great for regularity and good for the heart. They are also an anti-inflammatory.

      You can add them to cereal, shakes, salads and oatmeal to name a few. You can make a 'pudding' out of them by adding almond milk to them and refridgerating the night before. Add a little cinammon, fruit and light honey or some people use Truvia and/or Stevia then, maybe, sprinkle a few slivers of nuts on top.

      Delete