Apr 22, 2014

What to do About the Appearance of Cellulite

Every girl hates cellulite except when it is on the bum of a cute little baby!  As we know, cellulite is the dimply appearance on skin also known as hail damage, cottage cheese and orange peel syndrome.  The appearance of this is caused by fat being squished into between muscle and the connective tissue that is layered just below the skin.  It is kind of like when you lay on a hammock and your skin pokes through the holes of the hammock.  This is just a basic description of it and the actual term for fat is adipose or adipose tissue.

Do you think it is weird that the skinniest of girls may have it whereas sometimes overweight persons have extremely smooth butts?  We all know cellulite is a result of fat cells showing through the skin but why is it that some people have more than others?  And why is that some have it and some don't?

If a person has great collagen or thicker skin, the appearance of cellulite may be lower than someone who has thinner skin and/or less collagen.  Men have a lesser likeliness of having cottage cheese because the way their muscle fibers connect to the connective tissue allows it to do so in a way that doesn't squish it the way it does on women.  Plus, women are intended to be softer for pregnancy purposes.  Typically girls tend to get it around puberty.  I suppose that is why I noticed it on myself by the time I was 14 years old.  Who knows how long I actually had by the time I noticed it!

Genes.  I actually hate blaming stuff on genes because sometimes genes get used as an excuse to let things go.  In this case, it is true that genes will play a role in the amount or ease of getting cellulite.  It does not mean there's no hope, it just means some of us may be genetically blessed or genetically predispositioned to get it.  My mom had these 3 dimples that were diagonal on her thigh and I always noticed it (and did not like it) and guess who has the same weird pattern?  Me.  Oh well, life goes on.  There are ways around it and I will get into that in a moment.

Strange how if I see it on someone else I do not think anything of it but when I see it on myself I think it is hideous!!  Most of my blogs talk about being healthy, not vain but I suppose a little vanity came out right there, didn't it?!  There are so many tips and tricks to reduce the appearance of cellulite and, believe me, I have tried a few.

Massage is said to increase the blood flow and circulation as well as removing excess toxins and fluids, thus reducing the appearance.  I have been in the shower and gone to town massaging my thighs and ass only to get out of the shower to do the same with my lotion.  I have purchased expensive products and used them for days at a time and I found that they worked but I suppose it could have been the massaging I had to do to put it on.

Caffeine is said to reduce the appearance by dilate the blood vessels.  It kinda works the same as massage by increasing circulation and reducing fluids.  Fox News wrote a great article about using coffee topically on cellulite.  This is also something I have done in the shower but since it is short term I usually do it a couple days before I plan to be somewhere in a swimsuit and, of course, the day of.  Miraculously, this works as well as the expensive cream minus the blemishes that the cream causes due to clogging my pores.

I mentioned there are ways of getting around genes.  Just like there always is :)  Improving your lifestyle will help TREMENDOUSLY.  This can be done with exercise, diet, and even quitting smoking.  Did you know that smoking can reduce the amount of collagen produced by the body?  This article talks about the impact of smoking on collagen.  Reduced collagen can equal more dimpling.

Diet plays a huge role because the more sugar and carbs a person takes in the more swelling and water retention they will have.  This bloats the fat cells, pushing them more onto the connective tissue.  Eating balanced meals including lots of fruits and veggies with little or no refined sugar is a great start because it helps keep those cells a bit smaller.  Especially fruits and veggies that are mostly water because it helps flush those cells out.  Keeping hydrated by drinking a lot of water will have the same effect.  Plus, more water equals less lotion and chapstick for smoother, softer skin.  I talk about healthy eating a lot and you can check out either of these 2 blogs

My favorite one is exercise (check out a couple examples here) because the more muscle there is to even out the skin tone, the better the chances are to reduce the appearance of cellulite.  Let me clarify that as long as with exercise there is no gain in fatty tissue that it will help reduce the size of the fat cells.  It also helps minimize the squishing effect we talked about with the hammock.  I never intended to blast pics of my cellulite on the internet but I am going to do it for demonstration purposes.  I took the before pic on January 4th 2014 which was shortly after Christmas and the typical gorge fest.  Well, it wasn't that bad but still.  I took this picture myself and should have had someone do it to get a back view.  I was also wearing workout shorts which cover some of it.

The after picture was taken 4/19/14.  I had not even thought of writing about cellulite but I have been working on building up the muscle in my hamstrings and I noticed that the dimples have shrunk.  They are still there and I have a feeling I will probably always have them - matter of fact, I cannot remember a time that I didn't have it- but it feels good to know I'm not doomed forever!!

PS, if you could not tell the difference, the before shot is in the gray shorts and the after is in the blue swimsuit.

I'm co-hosting for the lovely AND wonderful Liz @https://fitnessblondie.blogspot.com and I am so lucky to be a part of this today!  Thank you for stopping by and Liz, thanks for having me!!  Feel free to leave your comments below!  Unless you want to tell me that my cellulite is gross and in that case I don't really want a comment :)
The Hump Day Blog Hop











































































(Linkup closed)
powered by InLinkz
The Hump Day Blog Hop











































































(Linkup closed)
powered by InLinkz



Follow me for great health info and maybe a little nonsense rant here and there.
https://www.facebook.com/TcFitLifestyle
https://twitter.com/TCFit_Lifestyle
https://www.pinterest.com/triciaconiglio

12 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing - i hate cellulite, but i just ignore it! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I tone up.. the cottage cheese thigh/butt is starting to look better.. but, MAN, I don't think I've ever had smooth skin on my upper legs/butt.. Just bad genetics I suppose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never been fully smooth either. I have gotten it close and my guess is if we bust our ass in the muscle development it could work because I always see fitness competitors nice and smooth :)

      Delete
  3. Saying hi from the linkup! You are such a motivation! I'm currently on my own fitness goal path! I'm 10 pounds downs and about 15 more to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks for stopping by, I am so glad to be a motivator because I love encouraging others. 10lbs is amazing, that is hard work and I know you can make the next 15!

      Delete
  4. What exactly do you do with the coffee in the shower? And it makes enough of a difference that you can tell and do it for events? I'm in. Need instructions. =)
    Btw, I'm new from Liz's blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tricia, I usually take coffee right from the filter because it has already been moistened. I put about a tablespoon or 2 in a small bowl/container and take it into the shower. I wet my hands and put some of the coffee grinds right onto my thighs/butt. I massage gently and then let it sit a few minutes while I finish up my shower.

      Yes, it works for events! It does not FULLY remove everything but it helps to smooth the appearance a LOT. Then I rinse it off and repeat the next day. I usually do it about 2-3 days in a row prior to said event.

      Delete
    2. Wow. Who knew? That is amazing. I could totally do that every day. I hate cellulite almost as much as loose skin, which I also have since I waited till I was 40 to lose weight!!

      Delete
    3. Good job to you, no matter what age! My brother was overweight his whole life. We moved in together a few years ago (temporarily) and he started eating right and working out. He lost the weight he had always known and he looks and feels great!!

      Delete