Apr 12, 2014

Group Fitness Instructor... To Be or Not to Be?

I have been tossing around the idea of being an instructor for group classes.  I REALLY want to do it but I do not have tons of extra time.... well, I do not have extra time so this means I have to borrow the time from somewhere else.  It will have to come from gym time, meal prep or sleep.  I definitely cannot borrow from work hours because that is how I get paid!

{Image Source}


This is a struggle for me because I am one of those peeps who needs 8 hrs of sleep to survive.  I have no idea how people live on 4-6 hours of sleep.... can't do it.  Meal prep is an imperative part of my day cuz I don't want to start cramming in extra -uneccessary - calories into my life.  Besides, eating fast food still takes time to get in the car, drive there, wait to order and then wait for the order to come out which is about as much time as it takes to meal prep for a full day.  So really, fast food isn't all that fast considering there are 3 full meals in a day that I would have to drive to and from a drive thru.... well, I can see this is not an option at all!!
{Image Source}

Don't get me wrong, when I go snowboarding or am out ALL day running errands and I just CANNOT get back home to eat or bring something with me, then I will grab something on the go.  I am not implying that fast food meals are never convenient.  I am just saying they are not as 'quick' and convenient as most people make them sound.  If I were an outside rep, then I totally get it but I am not.

The gym is a huge stress reliever for me and actually, it helps prevent stress from ever beginning.  The good news?  I do not work out 7 days a week which means I could be an instructor for a day or 2 each week.  I previously mentioned a trainer open-house at Amenzone Fitness in another blog and I was not really sure I was going to attend due to time constraints of being an instructor.  I decided I would at least go and check it out to see if anything will fit my schedule.

Part of the open-house requires applicants to send in their resume and facilitate a couple exercises to the other participants, or 'would be' class.  I never sent a resume because I am undecided about taking on yet another venture and as we all know overload can lead to burnout which I do not want.... I have goals... big goals so no overload/burnout please!  On my way there I am thinking how in the world can I make this work.  It is something I want to do but cannot because I already have a job.  I have lots of great benefits, time off and holiday pay at my work.  I won't have all of the above as a fitness instructor.  Life decisions include avoiding pay cuts or cuts in benefits!

I get there and a brief conversation has me filling out a damn application and participating in the group interview process.  They asked us why we chose Amenzone and what is our philosophy about fitness.  I was referred there by a friend so I went to check out the classes and loved it!  I love the workout as well as the inspiration that is written on the walls, the community atmosphere and the emphasis placed on being well in the mind in addition to the body.  This is something many people overlook and it is a crucial piece to being healthy and well.  My philosophy on fitness, you guys have heard me say before.  It is not about vanity it is being healthy and well in the body, mind and soul.  Our body is like a machine.  It will perform the way we treat it.  If we put shit in it and treat it like crap, it is going to run like shit!

Then we commence to getting the shit kicked out of us by the rest of the applicants!  Each of us led the rest of the group in a couple short exercises.  Man!  I already worked out today so here we go, round 2!  It was great and I enjoyed the entire process - especially getting to be a part of the group workout.



While I was there I asked about franchise opportunities.  Maybe I just need to buy one and live my dream every day!!  It is kinda risky since I do not know start up costs or return during the first year but I have not made any decisions and information is free.  No other way to make things happen unless you ask questions first!  So I did.  I will have an information packet today in my email and I cannot wait!

Post your comments on whether or not you would quit your job and take out a loan to start a business you love.

Follow me for great health info and maybe a little nonsense rant here and there.  https://www.facebook.com/TcFitLifestyle 
https://twitter.com/TCFit_Lifestyle 
https://www.pinterest.com/triciaconiglio

6 comments:

  1. You really don't want to hear my ideas. You know I am supportive of whatever you do but as we discussed when you wanted to be a fitness trainer, time is not on your side. No smart ass comment - just a comment. You need a steady income and benefits and I know you will live out this dream in some other way of helping people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your ideas are great, even if it is opposing my ideas.

      Delete
  2. If you don't have time to teach a class....will you have the time and energy to own a business? Can you afford to quit your job to manage a new business?

    As for becoming an instructor....I say go for it. Being a certified instructor doesn't mean you have to do it....it just means that you have an option to do it :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly do not have time to be BOTH a business owner and employee. I also do not have a large enough savings account in the event a new business does not bring in a paycheck. I am waiting on info to determine what kind of revenue comes in during the first few months. (the average for other locations)

      I like the idea of instructing 1 day a week and then I am still certified without the huge commitment. Thanks for the input, it helps :)

      Delete
  3. Follow your heart...I know that sounds cheesy. I know that you have to be reasonable as you need to make a living to support your household too, but something like owning a business involves some risk. Maybe try teaching one class a week and see if you really enjoy it and could see yourself doing that for a living....and go from there. Baby steps....good luck with whatever decision you make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I got a message from the guy who developed the certification part of the training program. I called back today but he was in the middle of something and will call me back. His message said he was calling about the open house.

      Delete