Mar 2, 2014

Great Grapefruit Benefits

6 reasons to enjoy Grapefruit

1.  Grapefruits are high in antioxidants. The great thing about antioxidants is that they help fight free radicals - which cause cell damage leading to cancer and other disease/ailments.

2.  Lowered cholesterol is an added benefit of antioxidants and the soluble fiber.  When cholesterol levels are low it helps decrease heart associated risks

3. It contains phytonutrients such as Lycopene and citrus liminoids.  Both have been shown to reduce tumor growth and are tremendous antioxidant agents.  Studies were done on men and women


4.  They are rich in Vitamin C which is commonly known to aid in boosting the immune system.  The SF Gate says Vitamin C has many more benefits such as reducing plaque build up which is know to lead to  strokes and/or heart attacks.

5.  Health.com notes that it helps boost your metabolism due to its fat burning compounds and has a stabilizing effect on blood sugar and insulin levels.

6.  On a side note, grapefruit also has some rather impressive benefits on the skin such as skin firming and even exfoliating.  Check it out at Health.com

These are some of my favorite reasons to eat grapefruit but they are not the only reason.  There are many more not listed and by simply clicking on either of the 2 links I listed you can read even more reasons to enjoy this powerful fruit!


Please note that grapefruit lowers the effectiveness of some prescriptions so check with your physician if you are taking prescription drugs.

Do you like grapefruit?  What is your favorite fruit?  Post your comment below!




For more great info follow me on Twitter at:  https://twitter.com/TCFit_Lifestyle or check out my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/TcFitLifestyle

9 comments:

  1. I like bananas and Bing cherries. You are right about medication. I don't eat grapefruit just for that reason. I do love the pink ones. Grandma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never used to like cherries and have been beginning to like them a little. Bananas I have always liked!

      Delete
  2. I've been on a grapefruit kick lately. Good to know all the benefits!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Admittedly, I did not like grapefruits at all. I have started to like them a little lately. It is strange how our taste buds change and even more strange that we are willing to try things that we do not like!! LOL (I am sure it is because we know the taste buds/likes change)

      Delete
  3. I love grapefruits and grew up eating or juicing them because my parents have a grapefruit tree in their back yard. I will say I would rather juice them....personally. I have heard about grapefruit supplements...what are your thoughts on those? Thanks for sharing the great benefits about them. I knew they were good for me, but was unaware of all of the benefits that you had posted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thoughts on any supplement is to first ask, what are your needs? There are so many choices and our bodies have so many needs. It is important to choose supplements based on your specific needs. It is not necessary to go out and purchase supplements for the sole purpose of being good for you. It is better to get them based on what you need or what your preferences are.

      Delete
    2. To elaborate a little more, I think grapefruit supplements are great for the vitamin C and antioxidant benefit but they do not contain all that a multivitamin would.

      I take a daily multi and then I take additional things based on my needs. For example, I also take calcium (women usually need a little extra), probiotics and an antioxidant. I used to use glucosamine but I have been using an all organic, topical product and have not needed glucosamine for over a year.

      Delete
  4. Sorry....I should have elaborated...I was speaking in terms of taking it along with your multi. I never knew that grapefruits can lower the effectiveness of some prescriptions too...that is interesting. On the side not of a multi-vitamin...there are a lot of options out there. There are vitamin packs as a multi, one vitamin, liquid vitamins and gummies (not sure about those)...what type do you think is most effective? Why type of multi would your body absorb faster? I have tried many, but haven't found one that really works for me. I have felt sick after taking them too, so currently I don't take one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard of many individuals getting sick as a result of taking vitamins. My personal preference is liquid multivitamins because they are absorbed easier than a pill because the body does not have to break it down like it does a pill. Additionally, I like organic multis so that there are less fillers or additives (like cellulose which can be made from wood pulp) which means you get more vitamin.

      If I were to take a pill (which I do when traveling) I prefer to take one, not multiple. That is mainly for convenience and usually less filler.

      I think gummies should only be used for kids as a stepping stone because those have artificial flavors and stuff that we don't really need. That being said, why should we give it to our kids? Something to really be aware of is food dye, especially Red 40.

      I do not get sick from taking vitamins and since you are someone who does, you may have to figure out what your body will tolerate by trial and error. You may be someone who has to eat a meal first, then take your vitamins 15 minutes later.

      Delete