Mar 15, 2014

Friday's Food Diary

I kept a food diary all day yesterday and I am sharing it with you today.  You're welcome.  We are going to be at the pool today .... AND I will be drinking.  I don't know what it is about pools and drinks... they seem to go hand in hand.  If I know I will be drinking I like my sodium intake slightly higher the day before so that my body retains water.  This way when I am dehydrating myself by drinking, my body has something to pull from.

I have not researched the science behind that but it seems logical to me!  Anyway, I thought that pizza would be a good way to end my extremely healthy day.  Not only pizza, but a calzone.  Oh yaaaaa.

Here is what my food diary looks like and I always keep a running tally of the calorie content at the time I am writing it down.  I have had years of food diary logging so I usually remember most of the calorie content but every once in a while I have to look things up.  It is a good idea to look foods up if you do not know.  Sometimes it is time consuming because there are so many variations of a food prep.  There are also many restaurants to get it from and I have noticed that the calorie count varies from site to site.  If you notice this happening, I would recommend checking a few sites to see which calorie count populates most frequently.

I typically consume about 2,200 calories in a day.  I am not looking to drop a large amount of weight.  I just want to lose what I gained.  I have gained 2 lbs (after the calzone's sodium I gained another pound) and it does not sound like much but 2 lbs here, 1 pound there and then a vacation here or there can really add up and before you know it, you could have gained 10 lbs.  So the best thing to do is keep it under control when you notice that you have gained a pound or 2.  That is exactly what I am doing here.

In the meantime, I have not been so successful because I have added more physical activity which has made me more hungry.  I did not really realize it but I ended up eating more than normal which is counter productive.  You can read about it here.  To be back on track I just need to be aware of what I am eating and the food diary has really helped.  It has made me conscious of the little bites I may have here and there.  Which is ok when maintaining but not when trying to lose.

Pictured is lunch and dinner.  You can see the wings are swimming in BBQ sauce and it is the first time I have had them this way.  I suppose it keeps them from being dry but, as with any sauce, it adds calories quick.  I shook mine off and scraped it on the side and they were still quite delicious.  The calzone was gigantic and we cut it in half to split.  I even cut that in half and it was still filling.  Today when I looked up the calories I could not find Ray's Pizza but I found a comparable calzone which was 2,404 calories for the entire thing.  That is more than a FULL DAY'S allowance!!!!  I had 1/4 of it so you can see I knocked back 601 calories just there!!  Then I had 2 wings.... those little suckers add up.  (kinda like the Girl Scout cookies I mentioned in my last blog.


 The calzone was stuffed with meatballs, sausage, bell peppers, onions and mushrooms.  Oh ya, and tons of cheese but you can already see that!  It is also surrounded in dough.  This is NOT the healthiest choice of foods.  This would definitely be a cheat meal for me.  Some people call them treats, and it was quite a treat!  I firmly believe in eating this type of food on an occasional basis.  Eating it every day will lead to weight gain but occasionally will be OK, plus it takes away the feeling of being deprived.

At the end of the day I had 2,036 calories which is almost 200 less than a typical day for me.  Good.  That is the purpose of all this.  To decrease my overall intake to achieve a goal.  Even so, I gained a pound but, remember, the food is high in sodium and I expected a gain from that.  Matter of fact, I planned it.  I never used to do that when I was younger.  I used to try to be as lean as possible when going out in the sun or drinking.  But I am older and wiser (I think) and I want to be smart when I drink!

Just before I clicked 'publish' I realized I did not calculate my salad dressing!  See, this is what I am talking about!!!!!  OK, let's add another 80 calories to the calculation.  PS, I like to add water to my dressing so that it spreads easier and I don't have to add more.  Well, this brings me to 2,116 calories for yesterday.  Dang it!  I did not really deplete much after all.  Well, at least the calzone was good!!!

Tell me about your food diary experiences.  I will respond to all comments :)

Follow my blog and I will follow you back.   Follow me on Twitter at:  https://twitter.com/TCFit_Lifestyle or check out my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/TcFitLifestyle

6 comments:

  1. Good job on keeping track of your calories! Tracking is so important for me.

    Good tip on adding water to the salad dressing. I'm going to have to try that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MaryFran, thanks! I had to laugh at myself once I had triumphantly finished the entire day AND blog, only to realize I forgot the dressing!!!

      Yes, the salad dressing trick works so well and you do not lose any of the flavor. Let me know how it works for you :)

      Delete
  2. I thinking keeping a food diary is very important, especially when one is starting the process to lose weight. I have tried in the past to keep a food diary, but it never lasted long because I got confused on how to read the food labels and break all of that info down. Any suggestions ? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suzette, that is a great question on how to break down all the info. My personal preference is to keep it simple at first. Depending on what your goal is, you could only focus on one thing. For example, if your heart doctor just told you that you have hypertension (high blood pressure) and that you need to cut cholesterol and sodium, this is what you should watch for.

      If you are trying to be aware of what you are eating with a goal of losing weight, I recommend watching/tracking the calories. (obviously this means counting them as well). I prefer counting calories over fat because some things such as fruit juices have "0" fat but they have 120-160 calories per serving. Which means if you are tracking fat then you could still be consuming more than what you need. This is why I prefer calories.

      Back to the food diary. I usually recommend just keeping track of calories, first, then becoming aware of the other things after you get used to tracking that. Frequently people are concerned with carbohydrates and that is great but, again, focus on one thing first. Most items that are high in carbs are also high in calories so if you are tracking calories, this should help limit carbs as well (if this is something you typically eat a lot of).

      Delete
  3. That is a great way to start. Focus on one area at first then expand. Also by incorporating your method, one could understand and research that specific are and become diversed in it. That is better than trying to learn all of it at once....that is where I was at. It was to much to take in...so I gave up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that happens to many people. They become overwhelmed with all the pieces of the pie ...errr.... I mean puzzle ;)

      There are so many aspects to being healthy and, as a whole, we have gotten so far off track from being healthy that it will take some 'undoing' of what has already been done. To do this, a little education at a time leads to a little implementing at a time as well!

      Delete