Feb 28, 2014

Good Bye Fitbit Hello Fitflex

In my Valentine's Fitbit blog I wrote about the fitbit my bf got me for Valentine's Day.  I was happy to get it because I wanted to track my daily activity and calorie burn.  It tracked steps, distance and calories burned which was great but it did it based on the info I plugged into my dashboard so it was pretty general.  One day it calculated that I burned 1,254 calories and at that rate I will be gaining more and mor weight.  But I am not so I need a new measurement.

It did not track going up or down stairs, every day movement, lifting or anything that I do above walking.  It brought great awareness to the fact that at work I hardly get in that many steps because I am at my desk all day long but I make up for it in the gym.  This is what I wanted to know about so I traded it in for the Fitflex.  Honestly, I do not think I am going to get the info I am looking for with this either but it tracks sleep patterns and I would like to know my sleep patterns.  It is a great way to see how much tossing & turning I do - or don't do!

The Fitflex is worn on the wrist and since I have been sleeping with it on I do not have to worry about forgetting to put it on first thing in the morning to track my movement before heading to work.  This already makes a difference.  Additionally, it tracks that I move my body - not just my legs.  I have  used it for a couple days and so far I see a lot more activity but it still shows me at around 1800 calories a day.  In the Valentine's Fitbit blog I talked about how I usually consume 1800 calories on days I am NOT working out and about 2,200-2,400 on days I am.  Actually, I probably consume 2,200- 2,400 every day and then work harder the day after a rest day to compensate :)  Or I just bitch about my pants being tight.....whatever.  hahaa

I just realized I can wear it in the shower so I'm NEVER taking it off.  LOL.  The real test will be today at the gym.  Although, I'm pretty damn sore from cross fit these last couple days so I will get back to you and let you know how it goes the next couple days.  I am at work and so far I have walked 188 steps.....def NOT enough. 

The Fitflex tracks movement even during sleep so it has been neat to see how long I go without moving.  Which could even be tossing and turning.  It also shows increased calories burned during potty breaks- which I hate in the middle of the night but with as much water as I drink it is inevitable.  So far, it looks like I move about every hour.  How do I know when REM sleep begins?  I don't know the answer to that and I don't really feel like looking it up but I bet I will!

It also tells you about how much activity you are getting when you double tap it.  It will show one little light for every 20% of the recommended daily activity completed.  (I think it said 20% but I cannot quite remember).  It has a lot of great features including logging your food and daily activity.  The Fitbit allows you to enter food as well but I did not keep it long enough to figure out if it did anything else.  Both allow you to join a community of other Fitbit/Fitflex users to help keep you motivated and accountable.  Those are great features for those who are looking for that.  Especially if you are looking to lose weight.

Post comments below.  I want to hear what kind of tracking device you use or would like to use.

Follow me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/TCFit_Lifestyle or check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/TcFitLifestyle


No comments:

Post a Comment