Dec 17, 2013

Breakfast Smoothie

Smoothies are delicious but I rarely have them for breakfast because I get hungry about an hour later.  This particular morning I decided to make a little extra so I could bring some with me to work as part of my morning snack.  Whenever I say I have 5 meals a day, it is really 3 smaller meals and 2 snacks.

PS, my snacks are NOT pre-packaged cookies or any other pre-packaged item.  It is always a fruit then a protein.  It is better to eat fresher, non-processed foods to avoid the chemicals, preservatives and crap that go into processing.














A few ice cubes
1 scoop strawberry protein shake
1/2 c almond milk
1 c water (or more)
1 pear
1/2 mango
1/2 medium banana
1/4 c cucumber
3/4 c spinach
1-2 TBSP honey
lotsa cinnamon (I probably used 2-3 tsp)




I like to put in the ice first and then the liquid and protein powder.  This way all the ingredients do not stick to the bottom of the blender.  Next, I put the cinnamon and honey. I add the cucumber and fruit with the spinach, on top.
 Blend until smooth and serve.  Add more water to desired consistency.  I like mine thicker because it makes me think I am eating an actual shake.  It's all about mindset!  This was about 6 cups and I had 2 cups for breakfast.  I brought another 2 cups to work and my bf had the other 2.


It is a great way to sneak in fruits and veggies.  Most people do not eat enough fruits or vegetables.  I read a study on ABC:  http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Healthday/story?id=4506239 that said only 28% of Americans eat their 2 recommended daily servings of fruits and only 32% ate the recommended daily serving of 3 veggies a day.

It comes naturally for me, but I have been eating right for a while.  I always wonder what the hell are people eating that they cannot squeeze in 2 fruits a day?!  And/or 3 servings of veggies a day?  It sounds like it is just meat, cheese and bread.  Oh, and sugar.  Geez!!

This leads me to a great tip:  Trade out 1 sweet per day for a fruit.  For example, instead of having packaged candies like Starburst or Skittles have a Fuji apple.  Instead of ice cream have some Greek yogurt with fruit such as pineapple in it.

I also post tips on https://www.facebook.com/TcFitLifestyle and you should click like on my page to see some of the other articles posted.

2 comments:

  1. Would could be an alternative that I could add in place of the spinach?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spinach is a great super food and that's why Popeye eats it! haha. You would be surprised that you cannot even taste the spinach. You could try kale or collard greens but even when you remove the spine, they are still kinda rough. Spinach blends up really smoothly.

      Another option would be broccoli or celery and with celery you would want to pull off the strings so it does not get tangled in the blender.

      Delete